Microsoft Excel has lots of useful functions for Excel consultants to use, especially the mathematical functions which can be used by students and even the professional in their respective fields as well. These functions allow the Excel programmers to perform from simple to complex mathematical calculations. Also, they automate the calculation process for the users. One of the numerous functions in MS Excel is the SQRTPI function. This Excel help article will provide you an overview and some examples so that you would easily understand the basics and how it is used. So, read further for a better understanding of the topic.
What is the SQRTPI Function in Microsoft Excel?
The SQRTPI function in MS Excel is used to calculate the square root of a given numeric value multiplied by the value of Pi. The supplied numeric value is multiplied first with the value of Pi before getting the square root.
SQRTPI (number) = SQRT (number*p)
The formula of the SQRTPI function is:
In this formula, the number argument is number that carries a positive sign to be multiplied by the value of Pi before getting the square root.
This Excel help article gives you an example so that you would know how the SQRTPI function works. You can try doing them in your own Microsoft Excel spreadsheet to learn more about the usage of the function.
- For example, type in this formula in cell A1, =SQRTPI(5). The function will return the result which is 3.963327298.
- Enter this formula in cell A2, =SQRTPI(0.2). Then the function will return an answer which is 0.79266546.
- Here’s another one, type in this formula in cell A3, =SQRTPI(100). You will get a result which is 17.72453851.
- Finally, enter this formula in cell A4, =SQRTPI(0). The function will return the result which is zero (0).
Common Errors in the SQRTPI Function
- #NUM!: This result is displayed if the supplied numeric value is less than 0.
- #VALUE!: This result is displayed if you have entered a non-numeric value.
- #NAME!: This result is displayed when the Analysis ToolPak add-in is not activated in your Excel spreadsheet. You are required to activate the add-in before you can use the SQRTPI function in MS Excel.
Steps to Enable the Analysis ToolPak Add-Ins in Microsoft Excel
In Excel 2003:
- Click Tools from the menu bar. From the Tools drop-down menu, choose and click the Add-Ins option.
- Then the Add-Ins window will pop up. From there, choose and click the Analysis ToolPak option.
- Finally, click the OK button.
In Excel 2007:
- Locate the Microsoft button on the top left portion of your Excel spreadsheet. After doing that, select the Excel Options button.
- On the left hand portion of the menu, choose and click Add-Ins
- Then in the Manage list box, choose and click Excel Add-Ins and then click the Go button.
- After that, the Add-Ins window will appear. From there, choose and click the Analysis ToolPak option.
Finally, click the OK button.